Queensland Children’s Hospital – Parent Handouts
Resources created by the Occupational Therapy department at Queensland Children’s Hospital
Carers play a crucial role in our community—often without realising. For many people, looking after a loved one is ‘just what you do’. They are mums and dads, sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, spouses, friends and neighbours.
The Carers (Recognition) Act 2008 defines a carer as:
“An individual who provides, in a non-contractual and unpaid capacity, ongoing care or assistance to another person who, because of disability, frailty, chronic illness or pain, requires assistance with everyday tasks.”
If you are the parent or partner of a person living with cystic fibrosis and you support them with management of their chronic illness and clinical adherence, then you may be eligible for carer allowance.
The Queensland Government has a list of support services for all carers, with some additional services specific to groups such as parents and grandparents, older and younger carers, and carers from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, a list of support service providers can be found here.
If you would like to speak confidentially to another cystic fibrosis parent or partner to share your lived experiences, please contact services to help you connect with the right person.
- Support for carers
- Carers Gateway
- Did you know that cystic fibrosis is listed on the Australian Government’s List of Recognised Disabilities? It is point 15.
- Birdie and the Virus Children’s Health Queensland have developed an education tool to help parents talk about covid 19 with small children.
- Hand Washing and Germs short films (CFWA)
- The Adventures of Miss Messy Suzie McGoo (Nicholas Kelly, Maria Rohan)
- Getting Nosey about CF with Oli and Nush (Cystic Fibrosis Trust)
- The A to Z of cystic fibrosis l What is cystic fibrosis? (Cystic Fibrosis Trust)
- What is cystic fibrosis, exactly? (Cystic Fibrosis Trust)
- Mental Health and COVID-19 (Think Mental Health)
- Thrive Inside with Smiling Mind (Smiling Mind)
- https://mindspot.org.au/ latest mental health and well-being advice and tips
- Beyond Blue, 1800 512 348
- Lifeline, 0477 13 11 14 (text for a crisis supporter call back).
For all cystic fibrosis health concerns, please always speak first with your clinical team